Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I Start Tomorrow

My first riding lesson is officially tomorrow at 5pm with Amber at Conference School of Horsemanship.



My parents have agreed to pay for half of each lesson. They are expensive, and I do not currently have an official job.  I'm extremely excited!  I've been reading through my horse books, looking at horse videos online, etc., trying to refresh my memory on how to do stuff and so hopefully tomorrow will go well and I will get a lot out of it.  (My goal is to get as much out of the lessons as I can, so if that means I have to work on little stuff at home, I will.)

Eventually, I'd really like to lease a horse again, that, or buy one.  It's always been my dream to own a horse of my own.  But I have to be committed, and of course, if I want to own, I have to be much more financially ready than I am.  Horses are EXPENSIVE.  All aspects of horses and horseback riding are.  It's just how it is.

I can't wait for tomorrow's lesson.  I can't wait to be around horses again, smell that wonderful barn smell, and get to ride.  I'm sure I will have forgotten most of the stuff I have learned in the past but like I said, I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good refresher so we can get going with more advanced stuff.

I plan on working on a lot of dressage, and perhaps a little bit of jumping in the future. I really want to have a good riding foundation.  I want to learn proper habits when it comes to posture, effective communication with the horse, etc.  I heard this is best done while learning dressage.

I also want to learn all the aspects when it comes to horses, including horse care, health, nutrition, horse "lingo", horse tack, all that good stuff.  I want to be as knowledgeable as I can.  I felt in my past lessons I did not learn much about anything but riding, so I will definitely let Amber know that I want to be taught things that aren't JUST riding so I'm familiar with it all.  Like, for example, I could tack up a horse - groom the horse, put the saddle and bridle on correctly, but that's all I knew how to do. I knew nothing about the actual bridle or saddle, what things were called, what their specific uses were, reasons for things.  That's what I want to find out!

Tomorrow I'll let you all know how it went!  :)  Hopefully, it will be a good and productive lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment